With Google around, there really isn’t any reason at all to keep a “Links” page on a web site. It reeks of mid-nineties web design. But, oh well, I’ve never been cool. So there it is:
- Google: Yes! I dare include a wholly useless link to Google!
Morning news sources
Here’s my first Mozilla bookmark group of the day.
- Google News: The state of the world in thirty seconds.
- Yahoo! News – Most-emailed content : What is fascinating people at the moment?
- Google Blog Search: The state of the blog-ooooh-sphere.
- Reddit and Boing Boing: What, me a nerd?
Never mind that SF never predicted the Net: It took control of it! Here’s the handful of sites worth bookmarking for an up-to-the-moment look at the field:
- Locus Online: As close to a “website of record” that the field has at the moment.
- SF Signal: See their “beaming tower of SF news” logo? No lies.
- John Scalzi: The quintessential SF-author’s-blog.
- Making Light: Great content, terrific community.
- Nick Mamatas: Every day needs a contrarian moment! Speaking of which, have a look at Cheryl Morgan‘s blog…
- IO9: Still on the fence regarding this one: Is it a slick multimedia look at the field or a sensationalistic link-begging for-profit venture? Why not both? But then what about tor.com?
I read… hmm… a lot. Here are a few authors I like:
- David Brin: Physicist, teacher, SF author, social thinker…
- Chuck Palahniuk: Fight Club…
- Michael Connelly: The best procedural crime fiction writer in the business.
- Lee Child: Men’s adventure thrillers are rarely any better than his.
- Charles Stross: The essential SF author of the moment.
In the Ottawa/Hull area: Things I know, places I go…
- The National Capital Freenet: My usual E-Mail/Newsgroups hangout.
- OC Transpo: Does anyone else have a love/hate relationship with public transit?
- My one true bookstore is Perfect Books, a wonderful independent bookstore on Ottawa’s Elgin Street. But there are times when it’s not enough, and whenever that’s the case, my bookstore-away-from-my-bookstore is Amazon.ca.
- Ottawa Film-Can: The Ottawa-area movie scene
- The Internet Movies Database: The first and last movie web site you’ll ever need.
- Don’t just read one review; read all reviews at Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic or go wild at the Movie Reviews Query Engine.
- You want a schedule of upcoming movies?
- Posters! Everybody loves posters! Especially the Internet Movie Poster Awards! (Don’t tell anyone, but that’s where I get most of the posters for this site.)
- There’s no business like show business, and box-office grosses prove it. Check out Box-Office Mojo to see for yourself.
Don’t install a system without them.
- Operating system? If you can manage to tear yourself away from Windows (bleh), try Linux with Knoppix and then install Ubuntu.
- Fun stuff: